The_Ticker

Christopher Ramezan

A Test Above the Rest

A Test Above the Rest

When it comes to the cybersecurity industry, the CISSP – Certified Information Systems Security Professional – is one of the most sought after certifications individuals can receive. In fact, in Britain, the CISSP certification counts as a masters degree. That is how prestigious it is. 

Within the last two years at Chambers College, we have had three students take this exam and pass it. While it is a valued certificate to have, it is not an easy one to pass. Chris Ramezan, a teaching assistant professor of Management Information Systems and Cybersecurity, said it is not only a personal achievement for those students, but it is also one for our faculty who have helped prep and coach our students through coursework and additional study groups. “It is a very tough exam with very high stakes,” said Ramezan. “Students typically take two years to prepare for it. We wanted to make sure our students had the tools they needed, so we hosted a study group for those who were planning on taking it.” Andy Pritt, a 2020 masters of science in Business Cybersecurity Management graduate said he was grateful that the College helped him prepare for the exam. “Before I took the exam, everything that I had read about it online said that I would feel like I was failing it while I was taking it, and that was definitely true. It was the hardest exam I have ever taken, by a long shot. I honestly couldn’t believe it when the first word on the paper read “Congratulations”, said Pritt. Having students enrolled in our cybersecurity program, and graduating with the knowledge and skills needed to pass the CISSP exam (and others such as, Network+, Security+, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst+ (CySA+), AWS Cloud certifications and more) is just one of the ways our College is raising the bar for future cybersecurity professionals. 

Clothes-Minded

“The future is unpredictable so I focus on the ‘how’ and not the ‘what.'’”

Read Article

Anomaly Detector

While COVID-19 has forced us to pivot the way we work and play, the Robbins Center for Global Business and Strategy is no exception. In fact, two virtual activities alone in October saw more than 250 students involved in international lecture, case analyses and culture sessions in Hong Kong and Bahrain. “Framed in this way, that's very promising international reach between WVU and these two international partners,” said David Dawley, executive director of the Robbins Center. 

Read Article

Goal!

Management Information Systems alumnus Jack Elliott helped the Philadelphia Union win the Supporters Shield, given for finishing first in the Major League Soccer regular season. Elliott, who played for the WVU soccer team from 2013 to 2016, plays as a defender. 

Read Article

Embodying the Mountaineer Spirit

Congratulations to marketing student Madison Bowers, who was named a Mountaineer of Distinction this fall. The award was presented during WVU’s Mountaineer Week in October 2021 and recognizes exemplary academic achievement and extracurricular involvement. Way to go, Madison! “As someone who is from a tiny town in Coal County, West Virginia, winning this award meant the world to me. I firmly believe that it takes a village to raise a kid and I am endlessly thankful to my family, friends, community, and Chambers College family, for their help along the way. Once a Mountaineer, always a Mountaineer.” 

Read Article

Bank on it

The Center for Financial Literacy and Education, in conjunction with the Finance Department, received an Executive Training Program Gift for $38,000. Finance Faculty Brant Hammer, Frank DeGeorge and David Fragale will teach a 15-week program to a group of burgeoning portfolio managers from United Bank. This partnership was initiated through the 2019 Bank Summit and cultivated further due to a long-standing relationship with finance Professor Paul Speaker.

Read Article