The_Ticker

Photo of Lemon Milk Paper Co. products

Greeting Every Opportunity with Open Arms

After growing up in her parents’ business, Emmy Severs was inspired to start her own business halfway through her college career. As an entrepreneurship major, she leaned on her passions and creative skills, and launched a stationary company called Lemon Milk Paper Co

"The pandemic gave people the opportunity to reevaluate their passions and find something they connected with," Severs said. "For me, that was connecting back to my old love of illustrating greeting cards, this time with my iPad instead of crayons and colored pencils. I have always been a very creative person and love painting, drawing, or any outlet that allows me to be artistic." 

Her business offers stationery products in the form of greeting cards, academic planners, notepads, notebooks, stickers and wrapping paper. As far as the business name, Severs said “Lemon Milk” is the name of one of her favorite fonts and is a name people would remember.

“I illustrate the designs myself, then I send them to a manufacturer to ensure the highest quality. My favorite product I sell is the miniature planner stickers. I think they are a fun way to organize your events and tasks in your planner.”

Lemon Milk Paper Co supplies more than 160 retailers and fulfills their stationery needs. 

Severs runs her business while remaining a full-time student, being involved with Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, the WVU Fastenal Sales Team and other activities across campus. Read more about Severs.

Beauty and the Least (Paid) $$$

Football was never intended to be a beauty pageant. A study led by economics professor Brad Humphreys backs it up. In fact, if you’re a handsome heartthrob coaching an NCAA Division I team, you might get a penalty flag when it comes to pay.

Read Article

Learning Through Service

In the service learning unit of the Chambers College's on-campus MBA program, students design, plan and execute a project to benefit a local nonprofit or small business of their choosing. This year’s projects netted big results: 

Read Article

Bank on it

The Center for Financial Literacy and Education, in conjunction with the Finance Department, received an Executive Training Program Gift for $38,000. Finance Faculty Brant Hammer, Frank DeGeorge and David Fragale will teach a 15-week program to a group of burgeoning portfolio managers from United Bank. This partnership was initiated through the 2019 Bank Summit and cultivated further due to a long-standing relationship with finance Professor Paul Speaker.

Read Article

A Big Four Dream

Lana Latif has already met her goal of securing a job with a Big Four accounting firm -- and she’s still in grad school. Latif will earn her master’s in accountancy in 2021 before heading to Pittsburgh to be an assurance associate at Ernst & Young. According to her mentor, Gary LeDonne, this is a great success story for Latif who came to WVU after living with her family in Palestine. 

Read Article

The Hall

The West Virginia Business Hall of Fame posthumously honored coal industry billionaire and philanthropist Chris Cline and three other state business leaders who have led widespread growth.

Read Article